Sunday, November 13, 2011

lemon ruffle cake



I had so much fun making and decorating my moms birthday cake! My first ruffle cake, which for my first I am okay with the imperfections!

I started with 2 cake mixes, one yellow and one white. I like to doctor up my cake mixes to make them here is the recipe for my doctored up Lemon Cake!

1 yellow or white cake mix
4 eggs
1/2 Cup water
1/3 Cup oil
1 Cup Sour Cream
1 package of Lemon Instant Pudding

Combine ingredients and Bake according to the directions on the cake box. I used tow 8-inch rounds for each cake. Since I did one yellow cake and one white so 4 layer the cake would look striped when we cut into it. When making the White cake mix, I used only the egg whites.




For filling between the cake's layers I used Lemon Curd. I discovered a new way to make it so it doesn't need to be strained and ends up perfectly smooth!

4 TBS unsalted butter
3/4 Cup Sugar
3 large eggs
1/3 Cup FRESH Lemon Juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest


Combine sugar and butter in a glass bowl, and beat until fluffy. Then beat in the eggs. Add the lemon juice. Once it is all combined, pour into your stove-top pan and heat on low-medium until it gets creamy and thick. Be sure to CONSTANTLY stir the curd and don't let it boil! You can freeze or store it in the refrigerator.


For the frosting I wanted something light, but still lemon flavored. Here is the recipe!

1 pint of Heavy Whipping Cream
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 package of Instant Lemon Pudding

Use your hand mixer to beat until it gets thick enough to pipe or spread, if it is too thick you can add a teaspoon or two of milk until it gets to your desired consistency. note* I should have doubled this recipe to make the ruffles work better.

No comments: