Saturday, August 28, 2010

Suspenders?

Ever since I saw THIS I have had this idea in my head for a suspender skirt, and as I did a little searching around for how I could make a jumper into a skirt with straps, I discovered that suspender skirts have quite the history, and show up in EVERY era of Fashion.


1930's
It seems that these started as something just children would wear. Very School girl. And very Alpine. Kinda makes me want to Yodel.

1940's
I am loving the styling on these with little jackets, vests, and collared shirts.

1950's
So collegiate don't ya think? Here is where they start phasing in to women's wear. I lreally like the straight skirt in this one.

1960's
One word... Mod. (And how would it be to pay 50 cents for a pattern!?!)

1970's
The rainbow ribbon used on this one is classic. Printed ribbon makes for some awesome suspenders. Also I heart the pockets on this skirt. Marsha Marsha Marsha

1980's
Not my favorite Version, but hey, maybe in a lightweight denim, and without that Hair it could be pretty awesome.

1990's
My mom made me something similar to this one when I started 1st grade. If I remember correctly she made ALL my back to school clothes that year. And Barbie patterns? Love it.

2000
I would love to try the pleated version of this skirt. SO preppy. (and SO Cher from Clueless. I LOVED her computerized wardrobe planner.)

2010
And this one is from Burda Style. Wanna make your own? I do! Check out more pictures of it, along with pattern details HERE. How cute are her Saddle shoes? I needs me some of those!


And last but not least MY version. It reminds me most of the 1930's version.

What one is your favorite?

No comments: